Thursday, June 08, 2006

Big Day (and Day 13)

Tonight the NBA finals begin in Dallas. There is definitely a buzz around town like nothing I have "Nowitnessed" before. Miami is a very talented and well coached team so this should be a great series.

Tonight we leave for Brent and Linds' wedding weekend so we'll have to listen to the game on the radio. But that is a sacrifice well worth making considering how special this weekend will be. It will be great to see all of the friends there, and I am especially pumped because Emily gets to come (thanks to the extreme generosity of a gracious family here at church)! Can't wait to be surrounded by people I love and celebrate the start of Brent and Linds' life together.

I'm going to be gone the next 3 and 1/2 weeks (vacation, HS camp, MS camp, visit Emily at camp) so I will post when I can. Until then enjoy these final thoughts from Ukraine. Blessings to all...
- - - - - - -
journal entry from May 8:

The sun came up around five and I with it. She stayed out all day long and provided a beautiful day to close our time here in Easter Europe.

Showered and then caught the metro over to the church building. Took a taxi to St. Andrew's descent one last time and strolled through the streets. Went to dinner at a cool cafe near our hotel and had a terrific caesar salad and beer-battered chicken. Walked home and sat on the balcony for a bit at dusk, praying for Emily and her Senior Club tonight, as well as for this whole experience, the work here and all the people we encountered, especially those dear to me. Chatted and prayed with the group and headed off to bed.

Sometimes I have caught myself daydreaming on this trip, the whole experience feeling so surreal, like a dream or a movie. But in reality it has been rich and rewarding, a time of basking in God's presence and overwhelmed by his faithfulness and the vastness of his kingdom. I've seen things I never dreamed I would, talked with people I never expected to see again, witnessed all that is gloomy and sad in this cruel world and been reminded in the next moment of the penetrating love of God that is infecting people everywhere. This world is definitely not out home, we were created for another and I long to be there and to see all these people there too.

Until then though I suppose I'm ready to be back "home", to talk to Emily and my family; to see Chad and all the kids; to watch the Mavs and sleep in my bed; to minister better, to love harder than I have before. Lord take us home safely. And thank you, for everything. Amen.
- - - - - - -
pic of the day, Holocaust memorial:



1 comment:

James Lee Younger III said...

cody... so glad you get to kick in Nash-vegas to be in that wedding and see your girl! what a blessing. i know she's pumped! have a great weekend!