Thursday, June 07, 2007

Becoming Less

I am a little over 6 feet tall, and yet there have been more than a few times in my life where I have felt considerably small. For instance, last week in Colorado, standing at the base of Mount Princeton gazing up at it's snowy peak, I felt tiny. Or this past Tuesday, driving by the new Cowboy's stadium in Arlington, I felt like a shrimp.

I've got a hunch though that none of these compare to how small John the Baptist felt as he stood next to the Son of God in the murky waters of the Jordan. John, a true man’s man, a guy’s guy, had to have felt like a spec of nothing as he dipped Jesus into the current and saw the Spirit descending on the much-anticipated Messiah. Later, when asked to compare his ministry with Jesus', John responds in an interesting way. When we speaks of Jesus, he simply says, “He must become greater; I must become less.”

As I consider my ministry to this broken world, these words must be taken to heart. Like John, I too need to become less. Less selfish and more concerned about the hurting and abandoned around me. Less self-reliant and more dependent on Christ and in tune with his ways. Lord, bless us all as we seek to become less.
- - - - - - -
pic of the day:

1 comment:

James Lee Younger III said...

whoa... i've had a week of this. watching it happen in my own life, watching it need to happen in other folks' lives... thanks for saying it dude.