Monday, May 22, 2006

Day 7

Hopefully I'm not boring anyone to death with these. Thanks for reading

exert from May 2:

...before we got on the train last night Michael (my roommate and preacher in training) invited me to pray with him. As he prayed for me I began to cry, his words so genuine, full of love and truth, begging God to reveal heaven to my heart, to set my life upon that...he prayed for Emily, for our relationship and future...he labored in prayer for me, and I don't know why but I just lost it. I have known Michael for only a few days and can't remember a prayer so penetrating and fervent. I have been incredibly blessed to spend time with him, humbled by his faith and vulnerability, his desire to please God and his example of openly wrestling with his Creator...

...began our day in Theodosia with a wonderful breakfast at the City orphanage. Met several rooms full of children with beautiful smiles, so precious. The girls had short hair after a lice breakout but that didn't prevent them from loving life. Helen and Eugene have an incredible ministry with these kids...you should see how the kids light up when they walk into a room. Our next stop was the village orphanage for kids with mental disorders. Unbelievably hard to swallow being in this place, but great to see the dedicated teachers and care-givers who love them so well. Some kids here had severe mental handicaps, some severely abused, and some completely healthy, their residence here a result of their parent's disregard for them. A hard place to visit but I pray I won't forget these faces.

Witnessed sad things today, evidences of life's injustice, but also witnessed God's hand at work in it all; his kingdom growing from a mustard seed. That's all we are after all, tiny seeds of broken lives and specks of faith, seeking a place to plant roots and grow into a strong tree, whose branches and fruit can be helpful to all. It's hard for me to walk away from orphans, especially living half way around the world with my car, house, and nice things while they suffer--how do I justify leaving? What more can we do? Is $ enough? How can I pray for them better? Praise be to our God who cares immensely for them and who has put people in their lives who do so as well. He has them in his hand and I pray he continues to hold them there....
- - - - - - -
pic of the day:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm bored.

Just kidding bud. I love the updates and I love you.

Cassie said...

I must say last night was one of the most stressful nights of my life:) Luckily...Dallas prevailed...I can hardly believe it:) (oh...and I LOVE reading your journal entries...it makes me want to go back...really bad!!)