Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Day 8

"How about the Mavericks?" --Avery Johnson after game 7
- - - - - - -
journal exert from May 3:

"And now brothers, we want you to know about the grace that God has given the Macedonian churches. Out of the most severe trial, their overflowing joy, and their extreme poverty welled up in rich generosity. For I testify that they gave as much as they were able, and even beyond their ability. Entirely on their own they urgently pleaded with us for the priveledge of sharing in this service to the saints."
2 Corinthians 8:1-4

There really aren't adequate words to describe the experiences of today, so I borrowed these from Paul, words that were fulfilled, words on a page that came alive, had breath and personality and faces...

To be honest at first I didn't think much of this excursion to another old run-down Soviet-age apartment building, where we gathered in a cramped room to drink hot tea and meet with 11 Christians. But oh how much great is God's kingdom that I can fathom! The tiny apartment was owned by Natasha or "Mother Teresa" as she is aptly dubbed. The oldest member a 90 year old babushka named Marina who never misses a worship service or meeting; the youngest Curio, 14, son of Anatoly, taxi driver/mechanic; when we asked Curio about his mother he said, "she's not a Christian...But she will be."

All of us crowded around a small table to visit and share stories of God's work, stories that stunned me. The faith of these 11 simple people absolutely floored me--they talked of having nothing, working 2 or 3 jobs just to pay rent and have money left over to buy Bibles for the orphanages, told stories of being beat up and threatened at work b/c of the Gospel, even fired. And yet they had a joy about them that was so evident; they spoke like true laborers, dedicated disciples so focused, so committed to spreading the Gospel that they had forgotten all about themselves, their extreme poverty, their needs. I can't begin to explain what our time there was like, looking and listening to faithful servants who weren't just being good but following the way of Christ, spending themselves, fulfilling God's Word, living as the very people Paul described in 2 Corinthians 8. Amazing, inspiring, humbling, beautiful.

Oh Lord, to have even an ounce of faith like I saw today, just a drop of their zeal and commitment. Empty me Father, help me realize my complete weakness and dependence on you. Help me chase after you with everything, to be focused on my ministry, to follow the incredible example of these Christians. Thank you for this trip, these opportunities, of which I am not worthy to be a part of. Somehow I pray that you might transform this worthless, selfish being of mine into the image of Christ, a giving and genuine, faithful and loving servant. Father search my heart and lead; take away all my worries...and teach me to trust you with a faith like Christ.
- - - - - - -
pic of the day:

1 comment:

James Lee Younger III said...

once again bro, just what i needed today. wish i could be a fly on the wall as those folks worship our God... thanks cody.