Wednesday, July 19, 2006

From rules to something beyond

yesterday Garret and I were talking about the difference between Christianity that is all about morality and "being good" verses Christianity that is centered on Christ and his love and letting that love become a reality in our lives. then last night I just happened to read this passage by C.S. Lewis in Mere Christianity:

"I think all Christians would agree with me if I said that though Christianity seems at the first to be all about morality, all about duties and rules and guilt and virtue, yet it leads you on, our of all that, into something beyond. One has a glimpse of a country where they do not talk of those things, except perhaps as a joke. Every one there is filled full with what we should call goodness as a mirror is filled with light. But they do not call it goodness. They do not call it anything. They are not thinking of it. They are too busy looking at the source from which it comes. But this is near the stage where the road passes over the rim of our world. No one's eyes can see very far beyond that: lots of people's eyes can see further than mine."

We see plenty of examples in the ministry of Christ where the so-called religious and upright people of the day completely missed the point, failed to see the big picture. When Christ healed the lame man at the pool in Bethesda the Jews were ticked because it was on the Sabbath. Later Jesus gives sight to a man born blind and the Pharisees spend a whole chapter arguing with the man, hung up on the Sabbath issue again.

For much of my life I too am guilty of this, caught up in outward appearances, rules and guilt, instead of focusing on the healing Christ has brought to the my life and the people around me. I've missed the source for too many years, been too worried about meaningless details and the petty perceptions of my peers. Meanwhile oblivious the countless instances of Jesus' power intersecting with the world's pain all around me.

Things have begun to shift for me, and for many others, in the way I view this world, my faith, and Christianity as a whole. More about Christ, less about appearance; more like Jesus, less like this fleshly shell. Help us Lord become more like your Son.
- - - - - - -
headed to Colorado for Trek (and cool mountain weather!) tomorrow. keep our travel and our kids in your prayers please. thanks.
- - - - - - -
pic of the day:


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was blog surfing and your blog came up.
You don't know me personally, but just know that I am a sister in Christ. I want to thank you and your friends for your posts. They have been so inspirational to me.

I thank God for people like you who go out beyond the 4 walls of the church building and minister to those who have not accepted Christ as their savior as well as to those who have accepted Christ.

Many like to be fishermen of men, but they continue to fish in the same pond. They never want to go to the lakes, to the rivers, to the oceans. They only want to fish for the same type of fish. Some are only focused on "saving" those who are already saved.

I admire you and your friends passion and devotion to the calling from God. Please continue to fight the good fight!

Yours in Christ,
Keshia