Thursday, August 24, 2006

Hard Work

Nearly everyday this week I have been reminded just how difficult it is to be a part of the body of Christ. What I mean is that it doesn't simply happen. Just because a group of Christians attends the same worship services or lives in the same area doesn't mean they are fully living as the body of Christ. Community doesn't occur with proximity or similar interests; it isn't all rainbows and sunshine and hallelujah; being the body of Christ, living that out, is hard work. And we have to be willing to work hard to experience the results Christ intended for his church.

Developing community takes concerted effort, mounds of patience, and a commitment to prayer. A community of Christ-like folks must be aware of the subtle, and not so subtle, attacks Satan blasts at us. Together we must fend off the temptations to be lazy or self-serving. We must train ourselves to be deeply concerned for our neighbors. We must re-learn how to interact with all different kinds of people, keeping in mind that the Spirit of Christ lives in us.

Sadly I myself am far from much of this. I often find myself more wrapped up in my own stuff than seeking to shoulder the weight that is crushing those around me. Being a part of Christ' body is hard work, no doubt. But at the same time there is a richness, a fullness, about it that you can't find in any other kind of community. Lord give us the strength and desire to be the body Christ died for us to be.
- - - - - - -
pictures are back up on blogger so I also updated the last 3 posts.
- - - - - - -
pic of the day:

3 comments:

Katey said...

Why must you make me sad and post Abilene pics? I'm so happy for you Codyblair- you are being blessed so much in your ministry and life. Can't wait to see you in October!

James Lee Younger III said...

Hey, great pic and sweet words as always, dude... hope you guys are doing awesome!

Amy Jo said...

hey cody, so i am in oxford and i am trying to do a blog with pics and everything. i have posted my first blog,and when i did my second one today, it didnt link up with the other. like if you go to amycouchman.blogspot.com, it only shows the first one. i consider you a blogging expert because yours is the first i started reading. do you know what i need to do to make them all show up on one page? thanks and hope you are doing well... how are the kidneys?