Thursday, February 15, 2007

a month...

When you're engaged, life is full of choices. Lately Emily and I have been faced with many: what kind of plates, towels, chargers (?), sheets, and silverware we are going to use. Which waffle maker, cheese grater, muffin pan, napkin ring, and spoon rest do we like best (I’m still trying to figure out exactly what is a napkin ring and charger). The colors for our bathroom (my vote for Mavs’ green and blue got shot down); invitations and stamps; dresses and tuxes; attendants, cakes, music, flowers…the choices never end. I mean I had no clue there was going to be 68 options for a salad fork. Fortunately for me, Emily does most of the choosing while I try to nod my head and say things like, “Whatever you want, dear.”

Life is full of choices. In Deuteronomy 30 God cuts down our options. He says we must choose between life and death, between His blessing and His curse. Pretty simple decision, right? And yet so many other “options” clutter our lives that we often fail to pursue what God desires for us.

This week I pray that we will make wise decisions. I pray that God will quiet the subtle voice of futility that Satan whispers in our ears. And I pray that we will all opt to pursue the One who is constantly pursuing us; that we will all choose life (and the right duvet cover).
- - - - - - -
pic of the day:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know my stance on choosing silverware...don't let your woman do it. They go for looks over feel and functionality. You don't want to be stuck with a fork that's too big for your mouth for the rest of your life. You also don't want a spoon that's too heavy. Let her choose everything else, but stand strong on anything that will effect your food consumption.

Austin

Anonymous said...

I know exactly where you are. Chargers were a complete mystery to me, along with duvet covers. But, as Austin said, let her pick everything and it will all go ok. Enjoy this time!
Ben Grant

James Lee Younger III said...

Our silverware is all handle heavy... the knives, forks and spoons can't rest on a plate without falling off... but five and a half years into it, i can't imagine using more balanced silverware 'cause it wouldn't be ours...