Monday, November 14, 2005

Hello...I'm Naaman

lately i find myself selfishly thinking that life would be much easier/better if everything was on my time and happened my way. if my will was supreme then life would be dandy. i would be living on the beach in hawaii. i would work for an organization that sent me around the world to do tell kids about Jesus several times each year. i would occasionally play basketball for the mavs (when there were some injuries). i would see my family at least every other weekend, and all of my friends on the ones in between. i would have tivo. and then i would be set. no worries...right?

but then i read Naaman's story from 2 Kings and am completely humbled. when Elisha told him washing in the Jordan river would heal his leporsy he stubbornly offered an alternative suggestion. here before him stood God's messenger offering something incredible and life changing, and he had the audacity to hesitate. to say, "hold on God. i know this is your way...but how about my way?" what?! yeah right naaman...why don't you have some freakin appreciation. oh...wait a minute...

what naaman and i forget is that God's way is more superior than my way. God's way is satisfying and complete. who am i to even think that i might know better than him. thank you Lord for humbling me today. thank you for excusing my selfish (and silly) tendencies to worry and think i know best. thank you for replacing my fear and isolation with your peace. and thank you for not promising a life that is easy, but a life in which i am never alone.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
pic of the day, from Mize: Frank and Erika

4 comments:

ewall said...

cb, great post friend. thanks so much for the encouragement! I've been learning a lot about the truth of that promise of not being alone recently, so I really appreciated your thoughts! we sang blue skies and rainbows yesterday at church, and this part of the song stuck out to me--

"i know that Jesus is well and alive in me, He makes His home in my heart, NEVER MORE WILL I BE ALL ALONE since He promised me that we NEVER WILL PART!"

blessings to you today cody--

Anonymous said...

You can get tivo for $50 now w/ the rebate. And it's only $12 a month or $200 for lifetime membership, and was by far the best investment of my life, and I highly reccommend it.

Kenli Shea said...

You should invest in tivo, best thing ever. Love your blog title by the way. Bought new shoes the other day, thought about you, think you would approve.

Stacey said...

Blair-

Great post. I hope all is well for you in the metroplex. Be blessed!