Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Listening

kids are interesting people, with much to say. lately i find myself being very intentional and patient in my listening. more than half the time they're talking about some video game they conquered or the latest happenings on the WB--things i know little about. but i continue to listen, because listening is ministry, and it's a two-way street.

some of my friends spend huge chunks of their week counseling others. i have a ton of respect for these friends, not because they have all the answers, but because they listen, and listen well. they train themselves to slow down and focus on people, not on problems. God has been reminding me lately of how to make a real difference in the lives of my kids. it's not the lessons i've prepared or the activity we have planned. it's listening like Christ did. being personal and engaged in our conversations is important. give them my attention, my ears and my heart--that's valuable. listening is ministry.

i love the way kids can speak great truths at random times. out of nowhere they'll hit you with a seemingly simple answer, but with profound implication. working with kids may be tiring (ok, very tiring) but the rewards recieved are many, although unwarranted. without a doubt i learn way more from these kids than they could from me, and i have God to thank for that. He's constantly humbling me, constantly revealing His nature, his truth.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
L.D. quote of the day: (from Gus to Lorie as he's about to leave her at Clara's. he's explaining why it's a good thing for her to stay)

"Because you'll have discoverd that there's more to this world than me. You'll find that there are others that treat you decent."

p.s. I finished L.D. the novel last night. That's one story I'll never get tired of reading, or watching.

3 comments:

Cassie said...

There is such a great truth in Jesus asking us to become like children. I get so frustrated at times when I just want them to "grow up" and "act older"...but when I do slow down and see things from their view, life is so much more enjoyable! You are so great!! C

Kat said...

A great post Cody. When Clint and I first moved to Tulia I thought, "Wow, these kids really need us," but in reality, we are the ones that need them. Cody, if anyone's a great listener, its you! Blessings.

Matt Foster said...

Preach. You made me want to call you just so you'll listen to me. My prayer for you is that you have someone that will listen to you and return the favor that you have shared with so many...

p.s. finally finished LD, that just means that you get to start it all over again.