Monday, January 09, 2006

Just the Beginning

I ran across this great quote from Mack Brown the day after the game:

I don't want this to be the biggest thing that ever happens in the their lives. It may be the best sporting event in your life, and for some of them it will be for sure. But I want this to help them carry confidence later in life.

I love to hear stuff like that from college coaches who aren't just preparing young people for football or basketball games, but for life. That's why I've always looked up to Coach K, a man who has dedicated and focused his life and his program to producing quality human beings, not the next NBA has-been.

There's something refreshing about Mack's words here to these kids and it's very bold. In essence he is telling them that this is only the beginning. That one day hopefully they'll walk across a stage and recieve a degree. Or perhaps they will be lucky enough to walk down the aisle with the woman of their dreams. And maybe somewhere down the line they will hold their new born daughter in their arms. You know, stuff you dream about but still have no idea exactly how it will feel.

Of course he wants them to enjoy this moment, but at the same time they need to be looking for the next great moment. One that more than likely won't happen on a football field. As I processed all of this I found myself, well, somewhat inspired by his words. I know it's cheesy but I think there's some truth there. Plus it's exciting to think about.
- - - - - - - - -
I finally got my new camera from Christmas (hooray!), so I decided to take a picture of a sweet sign that Kyle got me:

2 comments:

Cassie said...

Great Words Cody. I LOVE coaches who see beyond the field or the court and live for more than great sporting events. College players for any sport are just kids...and to have men they respect telling them there is more to life (though sports are SO great) is so beneficial in their lives. We love the game, but in the end...that's all it really is:)

Matt Foster said...

good quote, great thoughts, spectacular sign... I am jealous indeed.