Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Munich

I went and saw Spielberg's latest film Munich Sunday night. though it was very graphic (and 3 hours long) I still thought it was a good movie.

one issue that stands out from the story is the ongoing hatred that exists between Israelis and Palestinians, something that continues today. it's sad when you think about it, two groups of humans living in constant strife, believing that the other group is awful and they are better. and the scary thing is that this train of thought is prevalent all across the globe today. and honestly it is not as far away as we might like to think. this same sort of hatred and division occurrs in our communities and (gasp) our churches every week. Donald Miller explains it this way:

I suppose believing we were right and they were wrong gave me a feeling of superiority over my Methodist friends. It all sounds so innocent until you realize whatever evil thing it was that caused me to believe Baptists [or any denomination/religious group] are better than Methodists is the same evil thing that has Jews killing Palestinians rather than talking to them, and for that matter, Palestinians killing Jews rather than engaging in an important conversation about land and history and peace.

I like the perspective Miller brings to the table. lately I've been convicted of my own feelings of elitism. for a long time I've noticed these underlying almost inherited views of superiority and righteousness displayed in our social groups, our denominations, our races, our fill in the blank. from this we tend to climb upon our pedastools to look down and point our fingers at those who are wrong. and as much as this hurts to admit I am so guilty of this and am really tired of it. for when I read the story of Jesus I see a man who loved without bias, who exemplified perfection in humility, who held no political agenda, who spoke out against the self righteous calling them hypocrites.

and my heart becomes sad because so much of our culture and even Christian culture has been overrun with ideas and values that are the opposite of what Christ stood for. John said that anyone who says "I love God," yet hates any of his children is a liar because you can't not love people and still claim to love God. I think we've all been liars for too long and should reclaim the truth and the ideals Jesus spoke of and died for. I know this all sort of random and harsh, but the Lord put it on my heart today.
- - - - - - - - - -
on a much lighter note, I can't tell you how pumped I am about the game. all day I've had nervous stomach (I know I'm a dork) but I think it is because it is just now hitting me how big a game tonight is. and I don't know why I want the Horns to win more; to kill all the "USC is god" lovely dovey mushy crap, or because they're my team. as my good friend Austin stated the Horns just have seemed like a team of destiny all year. I really think their time has come.
- - - - - - - - -
pic of the day:

1 comment:

Patrick said...

After reading Miller's Jazz, I also was convicted of my need to level myself out to the same position as everyone else in the world; as a fallen person. Plus, it is so much easier to love everybody if you don't think that you any better than everybody.