Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Cinderella

It has always been my favorite for some reason. As much as I love watching baseball at all levels, the Mavs, and college football...nothing quite does it for me like college basketball. Now that football season has come to a quiet end America turns most (save the Olympics, some NBA action, and pitchers and catchers reporting) of its attention to the NCAA.

To me college basketball is the purest form of sport (though early draft entries have begun to taint it slightly) with the best playoff system hands down. In fact if I could only see one major sporting event in my lifetime it would easily be a Final Four. How can you not love March Madness? I love watching the teams from no-name colleges slug it out with big guns like UConn and Kentucky and the smaller programs hoping Cinderella's slipper fits them best. Buzzer-beaters and upsets become instant March classics as ordinary kids like Laetner and Carmello etch their name into history as they're converted into household names.
For some reason growing up I can still recall watching almost every NCAA championship game going back to 1990 (the Runnin Rebel's title). And while my first love belongs to Coach K and the Blue Devils, I still have a ton of respect and appreciation for the college game and the masterminds who man the benches, men like Lute, Tubby, Bruce, and Roy. They, along with countless others, have done so much to promote this great game and raise it up to the high level it has reached today.

As teams make their push for the tournament, here's to what should be an exciting 2 months.
- - - - - - - -
Does anyone remember those mini basketballs that Pizza Hut used to sell every year during March Madness with all the Final Four teams on them? They definitely need to bring those back...
- - - - - - - -
pic of the day:

2 comments:

Katey said...

Ok- weird... I was thinking about the Pizza Hut basketballs too as I was reading your post- before you mentioned them. Those were the best! My brothers and I always loved them!

Matt Foster said...

"Hey chump, you wanna game?" After those commercials I wanted to palm a basketball... I still find myself wanting