Tuesday, February 07, 2006

The General

Most nights Avery Johnson can be found pacing up and down the Maverick's sideline, firing up his players and screaming at officials. However 2 nights ago I got a chance to see him light a fire under someone else's butt.

The Little General spoke at Students Standing Strong, a monthly gathering of Christian students at Grapevine and Colleyville high schools. I went with some of my kids to the event and had a good time. Now I'm not saying Avery should quit his day job (especially with this impressive 12 game win streak)...but the brotha' can really bring it--for reals! He spoke with passion and conviction, and it was great to see several students give their lives to Christ at the end of the evening. Praise God.

One particular thing Avery said stuck with me. He told us that he always tells his players not to listen to anyone but him. Ya know...to shut out the media, forget what the critics say. He said, "Everything starts with a thought." In order for them to be champions in June, they have to start believing him now when he tells them they are champions.

There are so many people each day vying for our attention, trying to transplant their messages in our heads and our hearts. Companies, salesmen, politicians, friends, neighbors...some with input of value while others are worthless. Satan is the worst of all though, always feeding us lies, whispering uncertainty into our ears. No wonder so many people (myself included) struggle with insecurity. Sometimes it feels like I'm hooked up to an IV of doubt. I think if even the smallest inclination of negative thoughts (like Avery talked about) gets into our minds it can keep us from truly experiencing something wonderful and we will miss out on the fullness we long for, the satisfaction God wants to give us. Lord help us to block out everything that hinders us from knowing you, and drink deeply from your truth.
- - - - - - - - - - -
pic of the day:

4 comments:

ewall said...

blair, loving the post. got to see the mavs play out here in portland and loving avery johnson. sounds like some really cool things are happening in your life...hmmmmmm?? :) blessings to you friend, thanks for speaking some truth

Joel Weckerly said...

Wasn't Avery NBA's Coach of the Month in January? That boy is gettin' it dun, ya hear?

Cal Benaglio said...

Carisse,
That hurt.
You and I had one night of passionate love and now it's a lifetime of payback. Oh well, it was worth it, just so everbody knows. You were the best I ever had. And it only cost me $350...to go on the Spring Break Campaign where we hooked up of course! Get all your minds out of the gutter!!!

Cal Benaglio said...

Hey Carisse,
Let's not get racial here "Brown". I would appreciate it, I'm very sensitive and it hurts that you would deny yourself the amazing memory of the greatest night in the back of a church van that you've ever had. I know it was one of my favorite mission trip memories. Do you still have that birthmark on your...well nevermind. I'll be more discreet about those details.