Friday, February 24, 2006

Fog

Did you see that movie The Fog? Good, me neither. But nevertheless I sure felt like I was on the set earlier this week.

I spent the earlier part of this week in A-town interviewing interns and attending some Lectures (more on that later). My plan was to drive back early Wednesday morning but when I awoke I was met with an unexpected surprise. A thick blanket of fog enveloped the landscape around me, thinning only in rare patches and diminishing visibility to less than 100 yards in every direction. I could not remember a haze so dense. Now one would expect the fog to clear as the day progressed, yet it never did. The whole trip from west Texas to Grapevine it seemed like I was driving alone, a few yards of pavement ahead and behind me were all I could see.

There are times (many in fact since I graduated) when this is how I have felt spiritually. Isolated, unable to see where I am or what lies ahead; and quite frankly, like driving through fog, it can be a fairly unnerving feeling, even frightening at times. And to be honest it sort of makes my stomach hurt.

Yet I’m comforted by the words of the Hebrew writer, “Let us fix our eyes on Jesus the author and perfecter of our faith.” God has paved a great path before us, one that is meant to be traveled by way of faith. Through uncertainty and concern, may we all seek the discipline to fasten our gaze upon our Savior and trust him as he leads us through the fog.
- - - - - - -
pic of the day:

3 comments:

Cassie said...

Is that safe? Driving in fog and taking a picture at the same time??

James Lee Younger III said...

Hey cody, what a blessing it was to meet you a few weeks ago! thanks for your thoughts about the clarity or fixation on Christ... i needed that today. you are the man!
-lee

Joel Weckerly said...

Cody I know what you mean man. Tuesday night I was driving back from a basketball game and that eery fog descended upon me like a misty, cloudy blanket. Why did I just write that? I haven't the foggiest...