Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Books

in college (and i guess high school too) i hated reading. ok, hate is a strong word, but i didn't care for it very much. growing up i never read in excess--i was too busy playing outside with kyle or my neighborhood buddies. however, since graduating from college i've been on a book binge, especially as of late. i can't really explain the recent trend, except maybe to say that i'm at a point in my life where i'm craving to be filled with something of value, namely spiritual insights. i've read nouwen's "in the name of Jesus," bonhoeffer's "the cost of discipleship," eldredge's "wild at heart," and have begun miller's "blue like jazz." perhaps it is just a trend that will fade, but something tells me maybe not. there are already 3 other books i'm eager to read--bill simmon's book (most likely foul, but hilarious), "future grace" (brewer's recommendation), and "coach k's little blue book" (one of my heros).


for those who know me well, you are aware that in my opinion the best movie ever made is "lonesome dove." i've probably made you watch all 6 hours of it with me (in one sitting if possible) and it has no doubt changed your life. well, i started reading the novel "lonesome dove" by larry mcmurtry and have not been able to put it down. if you think robert duvall is hilarious as gus, he's even funnier in the book. and the novel takes countless cracks at pea's intelligence, another part of the movie i love.

for the next few days i'm going to share at least one great quote from this epic story.
today i'll leave you with the wise words of Captain Augustus McCray, Texas Ranger: "my God, you just don't get it do you woodrow. it's not dying i'm talking about, its living."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I've got to know, are you a western movie fan or is it just lonesome dove. My personal Favorite is Tombstone.

Matt Foster said...

AMEN AMEN AMEN... INDEED YOU ARE CORRECT -- THE GREATEST MOVIE EVER MADE. I BELIEVE I WILL MAKE ALL COMMENTS IN CAPS TO COMPENSATE FOR YOUR LACK THEREOF...