Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Fix You

while i played video games all night with 18 adolescent boys friday, several of my friends saw my favorite band coldplay in concert. ouch. then sunday night, while i was singing with my youth group, another friend left me a message on my phone of chris martin belting out "fix you" live at ACL. double ouch. don't get me wrong, i love spending time with my kids. but missing coldplay twice in one weekend, well that sort of stinks. but i'm happy for my friends that got to see them--i hear it is an amazing show.



martin's lyrics to "fix you" really resonated with me yesterday: "lights will guide you home, and ignite your bones, and i will try to fix." much of coldplay's music, for me at least, has spiritual implications--perhaps that's why i'm so drawn in by it. we've been studying Genesis in our sunday morning class, and the past two weeks we've looked at adam and eve as well as cain and abel. these age-old accounts speak much truth about temptation, choices, and sin. however, they also speak volumes about the nature of God.

my favorite part of adam and eve's story comes in verse 21: "The LORD God made garments of skin for Adam and his wife and clothed them." even after they disobeyed Him and plead not guilty; even after they tried to fix it themselves with leaves and then hid from God--God still showed them care and kindness. and when Cain was scared of God taking his presence from him and someone killing him, the LORD said "not so," and gave him a mark of protection. even after Cain ignored God's warning of sin; even after he too pleaded not guilty--God still had compassion and provided protection. now will there be consequences for our choices--of course. will He judge us fairly--absolutely. but God is the only one who can truly "fix us." we may think we have the ability too, but sooner or later our efforts come up short and our leaves will fall off. it's in our brokeness that we realize how much we need him. in times of despair dependence rises from our hearts--a dependence rooted in him.

Oh Lord would you humble me completely; would you invade my life with your mercy and grace. thank you for putting up with my stubborness; for being patient with me time and time again. thank you for the spiritual healing and renewal that came from you son Jesus. may the light of Christ guide me toward your will. and may your Spirit stir in me and ignite my life for you. thank you Lord.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

L.D. quote of the day (sorry dave):
(from Gus to Dan Scuggs, a bad outlaw, after Dan just sassed Gus when he's about to be hung)

"son you're one of those men it's a pleasure to hang. if all you can talk is gruff, go talk it to the devil."

1 comment:

Justin said...

Cody,

That's my favorite song from "X and Y." I often laugh when I hear Martin's lyrics in the chorus, because I know how many times I believed that I was the "one" to help fix someone else. I have come to realize that there is only one who can do that, and I am not that person. I rest in the fact that it is God who will make whole what is broken.