Tuesday, September 20, 2005

"Life Itself Becomes Ministry"

i'm laying in bed today with the stomach flu that has steadily been ravaging our youth group. boooo. so here are some words from henry nouwen the Lord led me to (from The Way of the Heart):
"what becomes visible here is that solitude molds self-righteous people into gentle, caring, forgiving persons who are so deeply convinced of their own great sinfulness and so fully aware of God's even greater mercy that their life itself becomes ministry. in such a ministry there is hardly any difference left between doing and being. when we are filled with God's merciful presence , we can do nothing other than minister because our whole being witnesses to the light that has come into the darkness."

powerful stuff. these words hit me hard today as i continue to wrestle with idea of loving purely in authentic, Christ-like ministry. so many times i've noticed that my approach in ministry is sprinkled with thoughts of judgement and even elevation of myself. i don't bring it along intentionally, but it's something Satan seeks to engrain in my conscience, and often in my heart. and i think this is a serious tool Satan uses to keep me from living the true love of Christ out in my relationships. i get so frustrated when i see how different Jesus' ministry looks from mine.

Father, my desire is know and live the reality of your gentleness and compassion. to be filled with Christ and nothing else. i pray that you will cleanse me of my self-righteousness and humble me in view of your rich mercy. i want to serve you and you alone Father. i long to share Christ with people by loving selflessly, all for your glory. use solitude, stillness, brokeness, and whatever means necessary to transform my life into your ministry. get me out of the way Lord as you move mightily in the lives of those around me.

3 comments:

Cody Blair said...

i'm proud of ya cole...you're doing a fine job. be blessed

ewall said...

cody, thanks for sharing, powerful stuff you are learning and sharing. I liked that quote a lot, isn't that amazing that those things happen in the solitude of the Lord? oh gives me goosebumps just thinking about it! thanks for sharing friend--

Matt Foster said...

Cody,

deep. There are many of us who understand and struggle with the same issues in ministry (especially when your as good looking as you and I are), but seriously, may God grant you the needed solitude that is few and far between in ministry. And in that solitude, may you find the peace to see what we see, an inspiring, humble, talented man full of life, a life that already is ministry. Blessings to you.