Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Can We Take a Ride?

easily my favorite time of day is dusk; that hour before the sun goes down, and the few full moments of color right after it sets. the shades and colors of texas sunsets are unmatched.

one of my favorite things is driving around the southlake/grapevine area during this time of day. there are so many hills and tiny backroads around here, winding through trees and crossing creeks. these drives have become a regular part of my life here, something i really look forward to on occasion. and no drive is the same because no sky is the same. sometimes i listen to music, sometimes i turn it off completely and enjoy the silence. it's become a great time of escape for me; a time for prayer, reflection, and thanksgiving. a time for me to marvel at the wonder of our creator as he ushers refreshment into my life. in these precious moments God speaks. sometimes it's only a whisper, but i know it's him. "after the fire came a gentle whisper..." (1 Kings 19:12)
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

L.D. quote of the day: (from Jake, as he's about to be hung by Gus, Call, Deets, Pea, and Newt)

"I swear boys...I'd much rather be hung by my friends than by a bunch of dern strangers."

4 comments:

Kat said...

Cody,
hi friend..I too love sunsets. my uncle who was a missionary in china for 20 years came back to Texas last year and he was in tears about the Texas sunsets. he said China was great, but Texas is better! hope youre doing well...Kat

Katey said...

Codyblair-
That is by far one of the things I miss the most about TX. The sunsets cannot be matched in this land of hills and too many dang trees. Miss you!

Matt Foster said...

I spent the earlier half of my life watching the sunset paint reds and oranges over the deep purple of the Rocky Mountains, and now I watch sunsets on the beach spreading as far as the eye can see, but there will never be a better feeling than a West Texas sunset -- it is the definition of peace... and a heck of a lot better than China

ewall said...

cb, love the picture! the mountains and green are beautiful here, but man the sunsets I miss! I loved driving around as the sun was setting in abilene. thanks for sharing friend!